This grilled romaine lettuce is the perfect addition to any summer cookout! The smoky flavor from the grill takes any romaine-based summer salad up a few notches.
‘Tis the season of summer cookouts! Food this time of year always tastes so delicious hot and fresh off the grill. That’s why I wasn’t opposed to the idea of grilling my romaine lettuce. It seems odd at first to grill lettuce – but romaine just has that perfect thickness and crunch to it that won’t wilt. So, I decided to give it a try. And as it turns out, grilled lettuce is awesome! I like to think of this recipe as a concept, not a formula with a fixed set of ingredients. I say that because once grilled, the options on how you want to serve it and dress it up are endless. You can pretty much add your own spin to the smoky flavor of the lettuce.
What you’ll need:
- Full heads of Romaine lettuce
- Olive oil
- Wedge of lemon
- Salt + Pepper
- Cut the lettuce in half, lengthwise
- Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, and season with salt + pepper
- Place romaine on preheated grill for 2 minutes (or until charred)
- Flip & repeat for other side
- Once off the grill, dress up with your favorite summer salad fixins’
I decided to dress mine up with ranch dressing, chopped tomatoes, and parmesan cheese.
I hope if you have yet to try grilled romaine lettuce, that you give it a shot! I’d love to know how you served this tasty lettuce.